The Senate stands adjourned until 9:30am on Thursday, February 27, 2014. Following any Leader remarks, the Senate will be in a period of morning business for one hour with the Majority controlling the first half and the Republicans controlling the final half.
Following morning business, the Senate will resume consideration of S.1982, the Comprehensive Veterans Health and Benefits and Military Retirement Pay Restoration Act of 2014 with the time until 2:00pm equally divided and controlled in the usual form with Sessions controlling 30 minutes of the Republican time and Senator Graham or his designee recognized at 1:45pm.
During Wednesday’s session, cloture was filed on the Sanders substitute amendment #2747 and S.1982; as a result, the filing deadline for first degree amendments is 10:30am and the filing deadline for 2nd degree amendments is 1:30pm.
At approximately 2:00pm, there will be at least 2 roll call votes:
– Graham (or designee) motion to table the Reid second degree amendment #2766 (date change) and
– Murray (or designee) motion to waive the Sessions (or designee) budget act point of order with respect to S.1982
If the motion to waive is successful, there will be up to 4 additional roll call votes:
– Motion to invoke cloture on the Sanders substitute amendment #2747
– If cloture is invoked on the substitute amendment, the next vote will be on adoption of amendment #2747
– Motion to invoke cloture on S.1982, as amended, if amended and
– If cloture is invoked on the bill, the final vote will be passage of S.1982, as amended, if amended.
We expect to consider Executive Calendar #561, the nomination of Michael Connor, of New Mexico, to be Deputy Secretary of the Interior during Thursday’s session. The previous order provided for up to 20 minutes of debate prior to a vote on confirmation of the nomination. It is likely this vote could occur in the series at 2:00pm or before. Senators will be notified when votes are scheduled.