The Senate stands adjourned until 10:00am on Wednesday, March 5, 2014. Following any Leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session to consider Executive Calendar #659, the nomination of Debo P. Adegbile, of New York, to be an Assistant Attorney General with the time until 11:45am will be equally divided and controlled between Senators Leahy and Grassley or their designees.
At 11:45am, there will be up to 3 roll call votes:
- Motion to invoke cloture on the Adegbile nomination
- If cloture is invoked, all but 4 minutes of post-cloture time will be yielded back and the Senate will vote on confirmation of the Adegbile nomination
- Following disposition of the Adegbile nomination or if cloture is not invoked on the Adegbile nomination, the Senate will vote on the motion to invoke cloture on Executive Calendar #568, Pedro A. Delgado Hernandez to be U.S. District Judge for the District of Puerto Rico.
We expect to recess following the cloture vote on the Hernandez nomination for the weekly caucus meetings. Upon disposition of the Hernandez nomination, the Senate will process the following cloture motions. We hope to reach an agreement to process the remaining nominations throughout the afternoon.
- Executive Calendar #569, Pamela Reeves to be U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Tennessee (2 equally-divided hours);
- Executive Calendar #565, Timothy Brooks to be U.S. District Judge for the Western District of Arkansas (2 equally-divided hours);
- Executive Calendar #571, Vince Chhabria to be U.S. District Judge for the Northern District of California (2 equally-divided hours);
- Executive Calendar #636, Rose Gottemoeller to be Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security (8 equally-divided hours); and
- Motion to proceed to Legislative Calendar #309, S.1086, the Child Care and Development Block Grant.
As a reminder, when cloture is filed sequentially on several items, the Senate will consider one motion at a time. If cloture is not invoked or upon disposition of the nomination, the Senate would immediately proceed to the cloture vote on the next nomination listed. If cloture is invoked on a nomination, the corresponding amount of debate time will occur prior to a vote on confirmation of the nomination.
Upon disposition of the Gottemoeller nomination, the next vote will be on cloture on the motion to proceed to S.1086, the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act. We hope to vitiate the cloture motion and adopt the motion to proceed by consent and begin legislating on the bill.